Permits Required for Everest Base Camp Trek
You need to have some permits to do the Everest base camp trek in Nepal. You need to have three permits, which are Sagarmatha national park entry permits, TIMS (Trekkers information management system) permit, and another entry permit from Khumbu-Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality.
The cost of these permits is NPR 6000.00, and we apply and get all these permits for you once you book the Everest base camp trek with us.
Accommodation on Everest Base Camp Trek
We provide 3-star hotel accommodation for four nights in Kathmandu and simple lodge/tea house accommodation for the rest of the 11 nights on the Everest base camp trek. The rooms are basic and normally just a bed with a pillow and blankets on the trek lodge/guest house, and some of them are very basic, and a sense of adventure is necessary on the trekking trail.
Note: A hotel upgrade in Kathmandu is available. There are luxury 4 -5-star hotels available in Kathmandu so, let us know if you want to upgrade the hotels in Kathmandu.
Meals on Everest Base Camp Trek
We provide a total of 37 (15 breakfast, 11 lunches, and 11 dinners) in Everest base camp trek. This includes daily breakfast and all three meals a day while on the trek. You have to pay for lunch and dinner while you are in Kathmandu.
The breakfast in Kathmandu is provided in the hotel, and breakfast & dinner on trek also are provided in the lodges you stay in overnights. The lunches are provided in the lodges/restaurants available along the trails. Our guide will stop at lunchtime and provide your lunch.
You can find a wide variety of Nepali and Western meals on the Everest base camp trail, and you can choose and have them as per the menu of the lodges/restaurants.
Fitness Required for Everest Base Camp Trek
You do not have to be a marathon standard of fit to do the Everest base camp trek. However, a moderate level of fitness, good health, and the ability to trek about 5-7 hours a day is mandatory to complete the hiking successfully.
Most of the trekking/walking done in the morning and early afternoon, and you would have reached the lodges in the late afternoon, So, you will have time to relax, rest, acclimatize to the areas. If you have any health problems, We advise you to check with your doctor before booking the trek.
Preperation for Everest Base Camp Trek
You do not have to be an Olympian to do the Everest base camp trek. However, the EBC hike is a big adventure in your lifetime. So, You surely need to prepare well to complete the EBC trek successfully.
Mental preparation is important to be prepared well for the EBC Trek. So, You need to be prepared mentally, and you need to study the many ascends and descends of the trek before booking EBC Adventure.
When you plan the Everest base camp trek or once you book, we advise you to go some small hiking or walking where you at least walk about 4-5 hours a day. The hiking practice helps you a lot to be fit for the EBC trek.
We also advise you to improve your strength to do a successful Everest base camp trek as this is helpful on high trekking trails. We advise practicing simple physical exercises that you can do at your home, which includes step-ups, lunges, single-leg skipping, and single-leg squats.
Extra nights in Kathmandu pre or post the Everest Base Camp Trek
If you arrive in Nepal earlier or stay in Nepal later than the scheduled dates of the Everest Base Camp Trek. Extra nights' hotel is available and costs 75.00 USD per night, and also includes breakfast and airport transfer.
Guide and Crew on Everest Base Camp Trek
You have a professional tourist guide for a day tour in Kathmandu on day 02 (The tour guide for this day may differ from the trek guide the next morning) and a trained/certified trekking guide for the whole trekking who handles the logistics and guide you.
There will be a Sherpa (assistant guide) when there are eight or more members in the group and porters to carry your luggage, and there will be one porter for every two members, and a porter carries about 20 - 22KG.
Everest Base Camp Trek in January
The month of January is the coldest month of the year in Nepal, and obviously in Everest Base Camp. The average temperature in January at Everest Base Camp Trek is around 2 to – 15-degree centigrade. However, it may even go lower at night time, which depends on the weather condition.
The hiking to the Everest base camp in January is possible. However, you need to be equipped well and bear the cold temperature. There may be snow on the EBC trail in December also, which depends on adequate trekking equipment. You need to use a lot of layers and enjoy being one of the very few people up in the Himalayas.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in January
- Less crowded: Most people do not dare to do the EBC trek in January. However, the major benefit of doing the EBC trek in January is a less crowded trail. There are only a few people trekking to EBC in January. So, you can easily find accommodation, and you can trek in a peaceful environment.
Extra Preparation you should do to do EBC Trek in January
- Proper equipment: You need the proper equipment to make your Everest Base Camp Trek in January a success. There might be snowfall on the trail, and you should be prepared for that as well. You need enough clothing and trekking boots.
- Have Extra Days: You need to have extra days at the end of the Trek while coming for the Everest Base Camp Trek in January. The flight to Lukla may delay or cancel due to bad weather conditions, or you may need some extra days on trekking as well, in case there is snowfall, and you can use those Extra days in these conditions. We advise you to have extra days If you are planning to do the Everest Base Camp Trek in January.
Everest Base Camp Trek in February
The Everest base camp trek in February is possible. However, You need to be well prepared to have a successful EBC trek in February. February is a cold month in Nepal. However, it offers clear views, and the trail is less crowded in February.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in February
- Less crowded: The month of February is the offseason for Everest Base Camp Trek. So, there will be less number of trekkers on the trail. So, you can walk at your pace and have enough time to take photographs.
- Clear Skies and Scenery: The air is dry in February, and the sky is mostly clear, which offers a spectacular view.
- Better Rooms Available: Since only a few people do the Everest Base Camp Trek in February, there will be plenty of rooms available. So, you can find better rooms and services on the lodges when you do the EBC trek in February.
- Discounted Prices: You get discounted prices on international flights, hotel rooms, and even for Everest Base Camp Trek in February. Since February is the offseason, we also offer discounts.
Suggestion for Everest Base Camp Trek in February
- You need to have extra days: You need to have extra days while coming for the Everest Base Camp Trek in February. The flight to Lukla may delay or cancel due to bad weather conditions in February, and you may need some extra days on trekking in case of any snowfall, and the trail is blocked, and you can use those Extra days in these conditions. We advise you to have extra days if you are planning to do the Everest Base Camp Trek in February.
- Have adequate equipment: You need adequate equipment to make your Everest Base Camp Trek in February a success. There might be snowfall on the trail, and you should be prepared for that as well. You need enough warm clothing and good trekking boots to trek in February.
Everest Base Camp Trek in March
March is one of the most popular months to do Everest base camp trek in Nepal. The weather gets warm, and the rhododendrons and other flowers start to bloom in March. So, we recommend the Everest base camp trek in March.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in March
- The month of March offers pleasant weather and offers crystal clear views of the Himalayas.
- The Temperature in March is warm and moderate.
- Only little chance to cancel the Lukla flights.
- View the Great sunrise from Kala Patthar (5555m) over Everest and the other Himalayas.
- Take part in many festivals celebration that falls in March such as Holi, Ghode Jatra & Chaite Dashain.
- You can spot rare wildlife in Everest Base Camp Trek in March as animals become active in March.
- View the glaciated base camp of Mountain Everest in March.
Everest Base Camp Trek in April
The month of April is one of the best months to do the Everest Base Camp Trek in Nepal. April offers good weather and temperatures with visibility to view the Himalayas. We at Escape Nepal Holidays recommend you to do the EBC Trek in April.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in April
- April offers warm and sunny weather.
- April offers clear and crystal mountain views.
- View the Amadablam, Thamserku, Cholatse, Island peak, Lobuche peaks and many others.
- Little chance to be canceled the Lukla flights.
- April is the time to bloom the rhododendron flowers.
- No rain and snowfall.
Everest Base Camp Trek in May
May is another good month for Everest base camp trek. You will meet plenty of mountaineers, who are going to summit Everest. The weather and temperature in May are favorable in May, so we recommend doing the Everest base camp in the month of May.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in May
- The month of May offers longer and warmer days to enjoy on EBC Trek.
- May offers sunny weather and warm temperatures.
- Meet Everest climbers in EBC in May.
- Enjoy the colorful Rhododendron flower blooming in May.
- Less chance to be canceled the Lukla flights in May.
Everest Base Camp Trek in June, July & August
Everest base camp trek in the first two weeks of June is still possible and doable. The monsoon in Nepal starts in June, and it does not rain heavy till the end of June so, the trek possible even there can be less visibility at this time.
We do not recommend doing the Everest base camp after the 2nd week of June cause of rain and less visibility on the trail. The domestic flight may cancel due to bad weather so, we advise you to have few extra days at the end of the trek to use to try to fly to Lukla if you are planning your Everest base camp trek in June, July & August.
The rainy season goes till the first week of September and the Major season for EBC trek starts again from September.
Everest Base Camp Trek in September
The month of September is post-monsoon, and the trekking season in Nepal starts in September. The Friendly, Cool, mild temperatures, clear sky, and good visibility are the main benefits of the Everest base camp trek in September. So, we certainly recommend the EBC trek to do in September.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in September
- Clearer Mountain Views: The month of September offers stable weather conditions and sunny days. So, you can view clearer views of the mountain along the trail of Everest Base Camp.
- Warm temperatures: The month of September offers a warm temperature on the EBC trail. Just after the monsoon season, the temperature is still warm in September, which is helpful to complete the trek successfully.
- Greenery Views: The month of September is a post-monsoon season. You can find the greenery views in the lower elevations and, you also enjoy the lush green vegetation everywhere on the trail.
- Easy availability of accommodations: September is just the starting of the autumn season since autumn is the main trekking season in Nepal. There are lesser trekkers on the trail, and the trail is less crowded. So, we can find accommodation easily and even find better accommodation.
Everest Base Camp Trek in October
The month of October is one of the best times to do the Everest base camp adventure in terms of weather, temperatures, and visibility. Furthermore, the most Important festival Dashain also falls mostly in October or early November. You can observe these festivals in Kathmandu or other places on the trails if you come to the EBC trek in October. We recommend the EBC trek in October.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in October
- October is the festive season: October is the month of the great festivals of Nepal that is Dashain, and another biggest festival of Tihar can also fall in October sometimes. So, You can observe this festival in Kathmandu or on the Everest Base Camp Trekking, when you do the EBC Trek in October.
- Perfect Climatic Condition: The climate/weather condition in October is the best part of October. The October offers
- Scenic views: The October offers scenic views everywhere with Snow-capped Mountains and green hills. So, we invite you to do the Everest Base Camp Trek in October.
- Observe Vegetation: The month of October is the best time to observe vegetation on the EBC trail. You trek through the boosted alpine forest of Sagarmatha National Park, which is listed as a natural World Heritage site in UNESCO.
Everest Base Camp Trek in November
The month of November is another good month for Everest base camp trek in Nepal. November has favorable weather conditions with moderate weather. A large number of people travel to do the EBC trek in November.
- November is a peak season to trek to EBC: November is a peak season to do the Everest Base Camp Trekking. A large number of trekkers set off to Everest Base Camp because of the moderate climate of November.
- Jaw-dropping Himalayan Views: November offers you splendid views of jaw-dropping Himalayan Ranges. The crisp clear atmosphere allows you to witness an enhanced views of the panoramic Himalayas.
- High alpine forests at their best: You trek across the Sagarmatha National Park on the Everest Base Camp Trek. The EBC trek route lead you through the dense alpine vegetation. So, The EBC Trek goes across forests with full of Pine, Birch, Juniper, Fir, and Hemlock.
Everest Base Camp Trek in December
The Everest base camp trek is possible in December as well. The temperature will drop down in December comparatively in November and October. However, it is still bearable. The minimum temperature in December in Everest base camp can drop to -15 degrees at night and morning and maximum about 15 degrees in the day time.
The less crowded trails, great views, and bearable weather conditions are the main benefit of the Everest base camp trek in December.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather
Everest is the highest mountain in the world. Many travelers, trekkers, and hikers travel to Nepal to view, hike to base camp, and summit Everest every year. The weather conditions play a vital role in your Everest base camp trek to make it successful.
The Everest Base Camp is cold during the month of December and January, and it is almost -18C at the altitude of 5364 m. So, only a few people dare to trek to Everest Base Camp in these months. The Questions Like, How is the Weather in Everest Base Camp? What is the Temperature on Everest Base camp? These are the most asked questions when people book or plan for the EBC Trek. We provide some general information and a breakdown of the weather pattern of Everest Base Camp.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in January
The month of January is the winter season in Nepal. The maximum temperature in January in Everest Base Camp is 2C in the daytime, and the minimum temperature is -15C at nighttime. The month of January is the coldest month of the year in Nepal and Everest Base camp. Furthermore, there can be snowfall on the Everest Base Camp route in January. Only a few trekkers dare do Everest base Camp Trek in the month of January.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in February
The month of February is the end of the winter season in Nepal, and the Temperature slowly starts to warm from the second week of February. The maximum daytime temperature is 4C, and the minimum Temperature in February at night may go down to -15C.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in March
The spring season in Nepal starts in March and lasts in May, and the weather gets warmer day by day in March. The average Temperature of day time in March is about 7C, and the Temperature may drop down to -12C minimum at nighttime. There is a high chance of sunshine on day time in March.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in April
April is one of the best months for the Everest Base camp Trek in Nepal. The spring is the best time to Summit Everest as well. You will see plenty of tented camp at base camp where the climber is acclimatizing and waiting for good weather to summit Everest. The Temperature gets even warmer day by day in April, and it is neither too hot nor cold.
The average Temperature of day time in April is 10C, and it may drop to a minimum - 5 degrees at night time.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in May
The Temperature in Everest Base camp in May gets even warmer, and the average temperature in the daytime is about 15C, and the minimum temperature may drop to 0C. May is the time to summit Everest as well. The weather in May at Everest Base Camp is ideal for those who cannot bear too cold weather. The month of May is the best time for the Everest Base Camp Trek.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in June
June is the start of the Summer/Monsoon season in Nepal. The temperature starts to go higher. The average temperature on day time is about 17C, and the minimum temperature at night may drop about to 0C.
The Everest trails start to get wet in June, and most people do not plan Everest Camp Trek in June. However, the first two weeks of June are still good and recommended for EBC Trekking.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in July
The month of July is summer/monsoon in Nepal, and it rains a lot in Nepal, and the trails get wet. The weather even gets hot and humid. The maximum temperature in Everest Base camp in July on day time is about 18C, and the minimum temperature at night may drop down to 2C.
The Trekking to Everest Base Camp in July is not recommendable. However, it is not impossible to do the trek in July. If you can compromise on the weather and have some extra days to get fly to Lukla. There is a high chance to be canceled the flights to Lukla due to the weather condition.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in August
August is the end of the Summer/Monsoon season in Nepal, and the temperature stays like in July. The daytime average temperature is about 18C and a minimum of about 2C at night time in July.
The end of August is the start of autumn. So, you can plan the Everest Base camp trek from the end of August.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in September
The month of September is the start of the autumn season in Nepal. There can be some rain in the first two weeks of September. The Everest base camp trek trail is full of trekkers from the second week of September. The average daytime temperature in September in Everest Base camp is about 17C, and the minimum temperature is about 1C at night time.
We recommend doing the Everest Base Camp Trek in September. Mostly, days are sunshine after the monsoon.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in October
October is the best time of the year for the Everest Base Camp trek and the month of October is the busiest time for EBC Hike.
The average temperature is about 12C in the daytime in Everest Base Camp, and the minimum temperature is about -5C at night in October. The Temperature is neither too cold nor hot. So, most people plan to trek for EBC in the month of October.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in November
November is the end of autumn and starts in the winter in Nepal. The temperature starts to get down day by day. However, November still a good time for the Everest Base Camp Trek. The days are mostly sunshine, and the average temperature of the daytime is about 6C, and the minimum temperature in Everest Base camp in November can drop to -10C at night time.
Everest Base Camp Trek Weather in December
The month of December is the start of the winter in Nepal, and the temperature in Everest Base camp drops down day by day in December. The daytime average temperature in December is about 4C, and the minimum temperature may drop to – 15C at night. The days are generally foggy in December. However, some days may be clear and have good visibility. The Everest Base Camp Trek is possible and recommended in December.
Equipment List for Everest Base Camp Trek
As you are going for Everest Base Camp Trek, you need to have adequate trekking gear/equipment to have successful EBC Trek. The trekking gear plays a vital role for comfortable trekking and Successful Trek in the Himalayas. Find the list of gear that you need for Everest Base Camp Trek.
- Four seasons Sleeping bag (Optional), we can provide you one if required
- Duffel or Rucksack bag to keep all gear, which will be carried by the porter.
- Daypack for yourself to keep your things such as a camera, water, and things that you need for the day.
- A down Jacket (we provide you one if you do not have
- Shade hat
- Warm wool hat to cover your ears
- A pair of light-weight warm gloves
- T-shirts 2-3 pieces
- Lightweight thermal tops
- Fleece jacket
- Wind-Stopper jacket (optional)
- A pair of quick-drying nylon hiking shorts
- Two pairs of trekking pants, preferably that zip on/off at the knees
- Four pairs of warm socks
- A pair of light to medium weight waterproof hiking/trekking boots
- A pair of light trekking shoes or sandals for camp/lodges
- A water bottle
- Head/torch Light
- A medium-size towel
- Walking poles (optional)
Medicines and First Aid Kits
- We recommend consulting with your doctor for medication suggestions to take for these regions.
Miscellaneous but Important
- Passport and extra passport photos (4 copies), these extra passport photos are necessary to obtain the trekking permits.
- Durable wallet/pouch for travel documents, money & passport.
- Lip balm at least SPF 20, 2 sticks.
- Sun cream with SPF 40
- Water purification Iodine tablets (optional)
- Toiletry kit and be sure to include toilet paper stored in a plastic bag, hand wipes, and liquid hand sanitizer, towel, soap, etc.